What to Expect After Breast Implant Removal?
Breast implant removal, sometimes called explantation, is a procedure where breast implants are removed for different reasons. Some patients choose to undergo breast implant removal as their personal preferences change, or they are not feeling comfortable with their implants any longer. Sometimes, things like implant issues (rupture, leakage, infection, or capsular contracture), or life events like pregnancy and breastfeeding, can lead to removal. It’s also important to know that breast implants don’t last forever, and some patients decide to switch them out when they want to size up or down.
It’s vital to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon specializing in breast surgery like Dr. Avi Islur, who specializes in breast implant removal. During your consultation he will thoroughly discuss your specific reasons, potential outcomes, and alternative options for breast implant removal before your surgery. The experience after breast implant removal can vary depending on several factors, including the reason for removal, your type of implant, and your individual body’s response. Here are some general things to expect after breast implant removal:
What Is Recovery Like After Breast Implant Removal?
- Recovery: Immediately after surgery, you will likely experience some discomfort, pain, and bruising in the chest area. This is normal and can be managed with pain medication prescribed. Swelling is common after surgery and can take several weeks to subside completely. You may also experience some discomfort and tightness in the chest area. This is normal and should improve with time.
- Activity Restrictions: Avi Islur will provide guidelines on activity restrictions during your recovery period. You may need to avoid strenuous activities, lifting heavy objects, and certain exercises for a specified period.
What Will My Breasts Look Like After My Breast Implant Removal Surgery?
- Surgical Scars: You will have incision scars from the removal procedure. The appearance of these scars can vary depending on factors like incision placement and your body’s healing process. They will typically fade to a light coloured scar but never disappears completely.
- Follow-up Appointments: You will have follow-up appointments with Avi Islur to monitor your healing progress and remove stitches.
- Breast Appearance: Your breasts may look different after implant removal. They may appear smaller, and the skin may not retract fully, resulting in sagging or loose skin. This is because breast implants can stretch the breast tissue over time, and removing them may not restore your breasts to their pre-implant appearance. For this reason, a breast lift or fat grafting may be recommended.
- Breast Augmentation: Following the removal, your breasts may have a different appearance, prompting some patients to consider additional procedures like breast lifts or augmentations with fat to attain their desired look, this will be discussed during your consultation. During this stage, Avi Islur will sit down with you and discuss your needs and aesthetic goals, he can then create a custom breast augmentation plan based on your unique needs!
After breast implant removal, it’s essential to follow post-operative instructions, attend all scheduled follow-up appointments, and communicate any concerns during your recovery. Recovery times can vary, but most individuals can typically resume normal activities within a few weeks to a few months, depending on the complexity of the procedure and individual healing factors. Often, breast implant removal surgery is combined with a breast lift to address issues like loose skin or sagging breasts, especially when large implants are removed. For those seeking a more natural breast augmentation, fat grafting can be performed during breast implant removal. For more information or to book a consultation with Dr. Avi Islur, call 204.885.1419 or book online!